Buckingham Christmas Parade
Organised by the Christmas Parade Committee and sponsored by Buckingham Town Council, the annual Christmas Parade has been running for over 30 years.
This year the theme for the parade is ‘Musicals’. Over 50 floats, walkers and marching bands will line up on Chandos Road before setting off at 10:45am to make their way through the town centre before returning to Chandos Road.
Buckingham Town Council organises the road closure and diversions. These will be in place for the town centre and the parade route from 10:15am until approximately 12:30pm. Buses will stop serving the bus station in the town centre from 10am as well as Maids Moreton. Notices are being placed on the bus stops showing where the buses have been re-routed to.
There will be free parking in the town centre on the day.
Chairman of the Town Centre & Events Committee, Cllr Andy Mahi said that he is ”looking forward to joining the parade marshals, and hopes that that everyone enjoys watching or taking part in the parade.”
The Road Closure Order covers the following areas between 7am and 2pm on the 14th December 2019:
- High Street (North) – between the junction with Moreton Road and Paynes Court (excluding Paynes Court itself)
- High Street (North) – Paynes Court to North End Square (excluding Paynes Court itself) This includes the bus stand
- High Street (South) – between the junction with Moreton Road and the junction with Stratford Road
- Market Hill (North) – between the junction with Moreton Road and the junction with West Street
- Market Hill (South) – between the junction with Moreton Road and the Bull Ring
- The lay-by at the Old Gaol taxi rank at night
- Bull Ring – in its entirety
- Market Square – all – between the Bull Ring and the junction with West Street/Bridge Street, including the lay-by outside the White Hart Hotel
- Bridge Street – all – from the junction with Market Square to the junction with Bourton Road
- London Road – both sides – between the junction with Bridge Street and the junction with Chandos Road
- Chandos Road – all – between the junction with London Road and the junction with Station Road
- Station Road – all – between the junction with Chandos Road and the junction with Hunter Street
- Western Avenue – between Grenville Road and the junction with Brackley Road
The roads with a full road closure are shown as red on the map. Other town centre areas will have restricted access. Alternative routes for vehicles affected by the closures will be clearly signposted. Including a one-way system on School Lane and Castle Street and Addington Road.
Buckingham Community Fair
Organised by Buckingham Town Council, the annual Community Fair will take place in the Community Centre on Saturday 14th December from 11:30am to 2pm after the Christmas Parade. The fair has been particularly successful in recent years, when it has also followed the parade.
The Community Fair gives local people an opportunity to buy gifts, cards and Christmas goods from local charities, groups and societies, ensuring that money spent on Christmas also benefits local good causes. Those taking part this year include The Buckingham Canal Society, Buckingham Men In Sheds, Buckingham Twinning Association, RAF Benevolent Society, MIND, The Oli Hilsdon Foundation, Buckingham District Girlguiding, ENCRISCO, Buckingham Fairtrade, Arthritis Research, Open House. Refreshments will be provided by the Inner Wheel.
The Vice Chairman of the Town Centre & Events Committee Cllr Terry Bloomfield said, “I am delighted that we are again able to hold the Community Fair in conjunction with the Christmas Parade, giving everyone the perfect opportunity to support local groups with their gift buying, while getting warm and having a mince pie after the Parade.”