The Mayor of Buckingham Cllr. Margaret Gateley was delighted to be formally 'robed' at the first ever Celebrate Buckingham Day.
Margaret went on to award the following individuals in groups with prizes for their exceptional contribution to the town.
Freewomen of Buckingham
The Honorary Freemen/women Award was presented to previous councillors, Ruth Newell and Christine Strain-Clark for their valuable and dedicated service over their 30 and 26 years as Town Councillors. These awards are one of the most prestigious awards which a council can bestow upon a valued member of the community, or upon a visiting celebrity or dignitary. It arises from the medieval practice of granting respected citizens freedom from serfdom.
Friend of Buckingham
Friend of Buckingham is awarded to individuals who have shown exceptional and outstanding contribution to the local community. This years awards were given to:
- Dr. Roger Harrington for his work with the Buckingham Alms-house charity and the Buckingham Hospital League of Friends
- Right Hon. Jon Bercow in recognition of his time as Member of Parliament for Buckingham.
- Beverly Stockill for her work with the Buckingham Community Food Bank
Special Town council Awards
- Sports & Arts Award: Lace Hill Association
- Voluntary, Community and Social Enterprise Organisation of the Year: Buckingham Rotary Club and all the volunteers that supported the Covid-19 and Flu vaccination programmes.
- Natural Environment and Climate Champion: Stowe Sub Aqua Club for their continued support of the River Rinses.
- Mayor's Prize for Outstanding Young Person: Sulayman for his exemplary and inspirational management of the Buckingham Free School Meals programme.
The Buckingham Society awarded their annual Trader of the Year award to all the traders of Buckingham in recognition of the difficult times they have been going through. Mary Simonds, of the Traders Association, accepted the award on all traders behalf.
The Buckingham Rotary Club awarded Young Citizen of the Year to Sulayman for his management of the Buckingham Free School Meals Programme and Citizen of the Year to Janet Knicks.