The four-day Jubilee weekend in June, to celebrate the Her Majesty the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee, will see Buckingham jam-packed with festivities for everyone to enjoy.
Alongside the 250 trees already planted, as part of the Queen’s Canopy project, the Council are celebrating the Jubilee with three large celebration events and are supporting several more including a Jubilee beacon that will be lit at the historic St Peter & St Paul’s Church.
The Council is also encouraging residents to get involved by hosting their own street parties as part of the Big Jubilee Lunch. There’s no fee for temporary road closures; contact Buckinghamshire Council for details.
Celebrate Buckingham was held for the first-time last year and was a great success. This year the event will again be held in Bourton Park to celebrate the range of voluntary organisations who are serving the town and enable local groups to raise funds and recruit volunteers. This year, the council are inviting all local community and voluntary and groups to take part by booking a stall. As before, we are asking each stall to provide some form of activity because experience has shown that this encourages people to take more time to engage with stalls. Please contact the Town Council office for details.
Platinum Jubilee Events:
Thursday 2nd June
- Celebrate Buckingham Day:
- Returns to Bourton Park
- Jubilee fancy dress contest
- Awarding of Trader of the Year prize by the Buckingham Society
- Chance to view the Council’s robes and mace
- Local community, voluntary and social enterprise group stalls and free fun activities for all
- Reading of the proclamation by the Town Crier
- Bouncy castles and entertainment
- Food stall
- Lighting of the Jubilee Beacon
- At 9.45pm at St Peter & St Paul’s church, part-funded by the Town Council.
Friday 3rd June
- Music in the Market
- Returns to Buckingham’s Market Square this year, with live music and tasty food. Organised by Buckingham Acoustic Club, this family-friendly music festival is a firm favourite of many.
Saturday 4th June
- Picnic on the Pitch
- Lace Hill Sports & Community Centre will host a huge outdoor picnic, with a fantastic lively atmosphere including entertainment, bouncy castle and more.
Sunday 5th June
- Platinum Jubilee Civic Servive
- St Peter and St Paul’s church will host this civic celebration of the Queen.
- The Big Jubilee Lunch
- Residents are encouraged to host street parties.
The Chair of the Town Centre & Events Committee, Cllr. Robin Stuchbury, said “Councillors have been considering the Jubilee for some time, working with officers to best support the community in their activities and creating a shared experience. We’ve moved events and shared budgets to enhance the weekend and create a once in a lifetime opportunity to celebrate the long period of the monarch’s rule. We look forward to seeing people, not only at Town Council events but also having their own special celebrations including gathering to light the beacon which is part-funded by the Town Council.
Buckingham has always been supportive of the monarch, as our two Royal Charters testify. We look forward to the Queen being fit and well and would welcome her to visit Buckingham at any time – the last time she visited and met the residents was when my late friend Cllr. Isham, greeted her in 1996 on behalf of the community, as Mayor of Buckingham.”